The Law Offices of Scott Alan Morrison, P.A.
Please Call For An Appointment

A Maryland special needs trust can help to ease worries

A parent's concern for his or her child's future is somewhat different when that child is disabled in some way. These parents have to not only consider how to best leave their children their inheritances but also how the inheritances will be handled on behalf of their disabled children. A special needs trust is a good way for Maryland parents to protect their special needs children after they are gone.

A special needs trust is specifically designed for the special needs individual who will be left behind after his or her caregiver's death. It can be funded through life insurance policies, regular governmental benefits, an inheritance from anyone designating the trust as a beneficiary, by gifts and several other ways. The money in the trust can be used for transportation, health and medical care, and other necessities that are not covered by government funding, but it cannot be used for basic essentials, such as food and housing.

One of the major decisions when setting up a trust is deciding who will look after the trust and the disabled individual once the primary caregiver is gone. It is important to appoint someone who will keep the best interest of the intended individual in mind. That person should also be familiar with the individual's routine, his or her doctors and medical conditions, and any special circumstances that could arise. If there is no family available to help, there are professional caregivers and advisors that can be appointed.

There are other ways that a disabled person can get financial help, such as Supplemental Security Income (SSI) through the Social Security Administration. This is only for those individuals who have less than $2000 worth of resources, but it can supply money for basic needs, such as clothing, food and shelter. One way to find a solution for a disabled child is to speak with an estate planning professional.  In Maryland, estate planners can advise a caregiver on how to set up a special needs trust and give advice on other options that are available.

Source:, "What financial plans required for special needs kids?", Devin Loring, Feb. 21, 2015

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
  • Best Of The Best The Frederick News Post
  • Bar Association Of Frederick County, Maryland
  • NAELA National Academy Of Elder Law Attorneys, Inc.
  • Maryland State Bar Association Inc.
  • Washington County Bar Association , DC Bar
  • Law Offices of Scott Alan Morrison is a BBB Accredited Lawyer in Frederick, MD
Form Submit Button

Schedule Your Free Consultation Today

For more information and a free consultation with a Maryland estate planning attorney, call us at 301-694-6262 or fill out the form below. We provide clients with the estate services they need.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

We have offices in Frederick and Maryland, to serve you.

Evening, weekend and off-site appointments are available upon request. Free parking is available at our Frederick office.

Our office will follow the same closing & delays as Frederick County Public Schools for both offices due to inclement weather.

The Law Offices of Scott Alan Morrison, P.A.
141 W Patrick Street
Suite 300
Frederick, MD 21701

Toll Free: 866-220-5185
Phone: 301-694-6262
Fax: 301-668-8884
Map & Directions
Frederick Law Office Map

Contact This Office Contact This Office