The Law Office Of Morrison & McGrew, P.A. | Estate Planning & Strategic Asset Preservation
Please Call For An Appointment
The Law Office of Morrison & McGrew, P.A

Frederick Location

Hagerstown Location

Please Call For An Appointment

Maryland parents may wish to address guardianship concerns

The main priority for many parents is to ensure that their children are taken care of. Unfortunately, there are instances in which biological parents may no longer be able to care for their children. Sudden deaths often account for such situations, but rather than leaving it up to the court to decide guardianship, Maryland parents may wish to name their desired guardians. 

Any child under the age of 18 needs a parent or guardian. If parents do not appoint individuals to take over such roles in the event of their deaths, difficulties may arise when it comes to naming guardians for children. Courts may consider any interested individual, but if there are conflicts regarding the decisions, added stress may be placed on children already going through a difficult situation. 

However, parents have the opportunity to name their desired guardians during the estate planning process. These named individuals are given higher priority than other interested parties. Because parents know their children better than anyone else, they undoubtedly have better insight as to who would be the best guardians for their children. By creating a will, parents can name their desired guardians and have their wishes made known in the legal document. 

Though no parent wants to think of their children having to live without them, planning for such situations makes sense. Parents may find a peace of mind in knowing that their desired individuals will have the opportunity to care for their children. Interested Maryland residents may wish to address their guardianship concerns and consider speaking with experienced attorneys to determine their options for ensuring that their wishes are formally set.

Source:, “Chris Jones: Guardians and Conservators — What’s the Difference?“, Chris Jones, Dec. 25, 2016


RSS Feed

FindLaw Network